Spring is here, which means flip flops, sandals, shorts, and sleeveless shirts are just around the corner!
Toned and slender arms can be a primary focus of women looking to maintain a fit appearance. However, due to the natural effects of aging or weight gain, the upper arms can accumulate fat that is resistant to both diet and exercise. Fortunately, there are options – both surgical and non-surgical – for getting the arms you’ve always wanted.
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that extracts excess fat via small incisions. The ultrasonic liposuction technique is a state-of-the-art procedure that uses ultrasonic energy to melt and liquefy the fat prior to its removal, which allows a controlled eradication of fat from the affected areas.
- Effectively tightens the overlying skin.
- Delivers a highly-diluted anesthetic and epinephrine-containing solutions into the treated areas before liposuction, equaling less blood loss.
- Results in less discomfort and pain after the surgery, since the solution contains an anesthetic.
If you opt for liposuction, expect to be out of work for seven to ten days. Bruising and swelling may last four to eight weeks.
Pro-Lipo Laser Liposuction is a new advancement in liposuction that combines the benefits of traditional liposuction and advanced laser technology. While it is commonly used for removing excess fat in the belly and upper thigh area, it can be effective on the upper arms as well. Because it utilizes smaller incisions and local – rather than general – anesthesia, it is a wonderful, less-invasive alternative to traditional liposuction.
Pro-Lipo Laser Liposuction:
- Breaks up fat with laser technology and stimulates the skin to contract and build up collagen, resulting in tighter skin during the healing process. This helps to ensure a more uniform, smooth look after healing is complete.
- Offers the benefits of less bleeding and bruising, and less post-operative pain and downtime.
- Is performed in the doctor’s office without general anesthesia. It is particularly successful in patients who are close to their optimal weight and have good skin elasticity.
After Pro-Lipo Laser Liposuction, you can expect to have swelling and bruising for about a week. Within a month, you should begin to see some positive results, with the final results appearing about three to six months after treatment.
SculpSure is one of the newest non-surgical body contouring procedures and can help your arms look toned by removing unwanted fat deposits. It uses laser technology to heat fat cells, permanently destroying them. It is a non-invasive, quick, comfortable, and highly effective procedure that has proven results of up to 24% fat reduction in treated areas.
- Involves the use of a flat, non-suction applicator during a 25-minute session.
- Features a Contact Cooling technology to enhance patient comfort.
- Requires no downtime, with results the can be seen as early as six weeks after treatment.
- Produces smooth, natural-looking definition.
Some patients opt for more than one SculpSure treatment in order to obtain their optimal results. Since the treatment is so quick, though, it’s easy to fit one in during lunchtime without anyone knowing!
Other Beauty Tricks
There are other non-medical ways to help make your arms look thinner and more toned.
- Clothing choices can do a great deal to give the illusion of thinner arms. To make your arms look more slender, choose three-quarter length sleeves that cover the upper part of the arm. Avoid billowy looks and choose shirts with structure and a tapered body. Or, try pairing a neutral-colored jacket with a more brightly-colored bottom to draw attention away from your arms.
- Jewelry is a great way to de-emphasize your arms and make them appear longer and leaner. Choose thin bracelets and bangles, as they create a gap between the jewelry and your wrists to create the appearance of slender arms. Conversely, tight-fitting bracelets and watches can make your arms appear wider than they are.
- Positioning yourself in certain ways can also help your arms appear thinner than they actually are. Stand with your arms bent and your hands resting on your hips, with your elbows pointing behind you, for arm-flattering pictures.
- Skin tightening creams can make your arms appear leaner and more toned by minimizing the appearance of fat cells and cellulite and improving the overall texture of your skin.
- Airbrush tanning can help you achieve a sculpted look. Similar to highlighting and lowlighting with makeup, spray tans can be applied in such a way to emphasize muscle indentations and give the appearance of toned arms.
- Contour body makeup can be used in a similar way to highlight and lowlight areas of your arms.
Flaunt Your Arms
Don’t let your arms be a reason to shy away from this summer’s fashion trends. Dr. Chang can discuss your needs and help you decide which procedure is right for you. Stop hiding behind long sleeves and give us a call today!