Everyone hates wrinkles, yet they are an inevitable part of aging. They occur due to a variety of reasons, like loss of facial volume and collagen, sun damage, and heredity. They can also pop up because of overactive facial muscles in the forehead and glabella, and around the eyes and mouth. Thanks to advances in cosmetic surgery procedures and non-surgical treatments, you can significantly diminish or eliminate the appearance of wrinkles, though. If you feel that you are aging faster than you like, Aesthetica has some effective ways for you for to fight Father Time and look as young as you feel.
Facial Wrinkle Targets
The most common wrinkle-prone facial areas include the:
- Eyes – One of the very first places you might notice unwanted signs of aging are around the eyes. Especially common is the appearance of “crow’s feet,” also called character lines or laugh lines. In addition, the upper and lower eyelids can be affected by loose skin and sagging.
- Forehead – A major focal and expression point, your forehead can get wrinkles as the effects of aging and gravity weaken the muscles and loosen your skin. You may find horizontal lines across your forehead or vertical lines in the skin between your eyebrows – known as the glabella.
- Nose and Mouth – The area around your nose and mouth is exceptionally prone to the effects of aging. “Smile lines” may form where your skin folds, running from the side of your nose to the corners of your mouth. Or, you may feel like the corners of your mouth are beginning to sag, or your lips have become thinner and now contain small vertical creases.
- Upper Lip – Loss of volume in your upper lip can cause a flattening below the nose, resulting in the loss of the coveted “cupid’s bow” appearance.
Non-surgical Treatments for Facial Wrinkles
Non-surgical options typically involve injectables or laser treatments. The efficacy and downtime vary for each procedure, and the results of some last longer than others. Consult your doctor before choosing which option will work best for you.
- BOTOX® is one of the safest, most effective, and most common ways to eliminate fine lines in the upper face. It is typically used to treat wrinkles around the forehead, glabella, and eyes. BOTOX® treatments involve injecting a purified protein into your muscle, which makes it weaker, preventing creasing in the skin. The effects of BOTOX® generally last three to four months.
- JUVÉDERM® XC is an injectable gel that was specially designed to target wrinkles and folds around the nose and mouth by restoring facial volume and fullness. It dramatically reduces the depth of “smile lines,” diminishes fine lines on the upper lip, and restores volume to cheeks and lips. Its effects can last for six to nine months.
- BELOTERO BALANCE® is another filler that softens lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth. It is especially effective at treating smile lines and the vertical lines that form above the lip.
- Laser treatments can also treat fine lines on your face. While most people think of laser treatments for skin discoloration or scars, they can help eliminate fine lines and wrinkles and tighten your skin.
- An increasingly popular option for reducing the appearance of wrinkles in the forehead and glabella is a Non-Surgical Facelift, which involves using a combination of injectables and skin-rejuvenating lasers to refresh the skin. If you are not ready to undergo a surgical facelift – or perhaps you are not a good candidate for one – this treatment can be an excellent way to take years off of your face without undergoing surgery.
Surgical Procedures for Facial Wrinkles
While non-surgical options are wonderful, you may want to consider a more permanent result from a surgical procedure.
- A Brow Lift (aka, Forehead Lift or Browplasty) is a cosmetic surgery treatment that removes the deep lines that run across the forehead.
- Eyelid Surgery (aka, Blepharoplasty) is performed to reduce the sagging skin on the upper and lower eyelids. It is the second most common cosmetic surgery in the United States.
- A Facelift (aka, Rhytidectomy) is a procedure used to reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck. It can help to lessen sagging, decrease fold lines within the nose and mouth area, and tighten loose or excess skin. A facelift is often performed with a brow lift or eyelid surgery, or supplemented with injectables or laser treatments.
Choose the Option that Works Best for You
If you find yourself looking in the mirror and wondering how to combat the effects of aging, give Aesthetica a call. We have a variety of non-surgical and surgical treatments that can turn back the clock and give you a rejuvenated, youthful appearance. Let Dr. Chang restore your confidence today and make you proud of your age!