Many people want to be super skinny, but they don’t realize that being too thin actually ages their face. Our faces age because they lose facial volume and experience an increase in skin laxity as we get older. There are things we can do to stunt the aging process, though, with new surgical options and less-invasive non-surgical techniques being developed all the time. Even small changes to what you wear or your makeup can make a big impact on how old you look. It’s time to stop looking older than you feel, and do something about it.
How Does My Face Age?
In order to understand how to slow down aging in your face, it’s important to understand how your face is aging. The visible signs of age fall into three categories:
- Loss of Facial Volume—As we age, our overall facial volume decreases because we lose fat mass and density in our skeletal bones. And what makes it worse, the existing fat volume tends to move downward due to the effects of gravity. These changes are most evident in the temples, lower eyelids, cheeks, and chin.
- Increase in Laxity of the Skin—Loose skin, particularly around the face and neck, is a natural part of the aging process as a result of genetics, prolonged sun exposure, and fluctuations in weight.
- Changes to the Quality of the Skin—Skin looks thinner, paler, and more translucent as we age due to thinning of the outer layer, a decrease in pigment, and changes at the cellular level.
Each of these elements influences the other, so it is best to treat all three simultaneously. Fortunately, there are many treatments, both surgical and non-surgical, that can fight and reverse the signs of aging – especially in the face.
Surgical Options for Looking Younger
There are numerous surgical options for refreshing your face. While some are more invasive and require longer periods of healing than others, it’s important to consult your doctor about what treatments would work best for you and your unique needs. Some procedures can even be done in concert with others to maximize efficacy. The benefit of surgical options is that they present long-lasting, nearly permanent results.
The most common ways to reinvigorate your face are:
- Facelift—Facelift surgery has allowed millions of people to feel better about how they look and feel. A customized, natural, and detailed approach to a facelift revision can offer the results you want to maintain a youthful appearance.
- Mini Facelift—If you are concerned about looking too “pulled” or the healing time required in a traditional facelift, a mini facelift might be ideal. A modification of several facelift techniques, this procedure only takes about an hour and results in a younger-looking jawline and neck without the downsides and downtime of a traditional facelift.
- Forehead Lift—This procedure elevates drooping eyebrows and removes deep “worry” lines that run across the forehead to give it a smoother appearance.
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)—Eyelid surgery results in more vibrant, awake-looking eyes.
- Fat Transfer—Fat transfer can remove your own fat from undesirable areas and relocate it to areas where it can be used to restore volume subtly.
- Hair Loss and Transplant—When non-surgical treatment does not achieve desired results, there are several hair replacement surgeries that can be considered – including follicular unit transplantation, flap rotation surgery, scalp rotation surgery, and micro-hair transplantation.
Non-Surgical Options for Looking Younger
Lasers, injections, and various types of fillers can smooth wrinkles and help replace lost facial volume. Some treatments may work better with your skin type than others, so remember to ask your doctor what procedures would offer you the best results. These less-invasive options require little to no downtime and are often pain-free.
Typical non-surgical ways to rejuvenate your face are:
- Nonsurgical Facelift—If you aren’t ready for a surgical procedure, a non-surgical facelift is an option to consider. It involves using a combination of facial fillers, BOTOX®, and skin-replenishing lasers to fill in lost facial volume, fine lines, and wrinkles – and refresh the skin.
- Dermal Fillers—There are a variety of options that use soft tissue fillers to provide immediate results. Dermal fillers can soften lines, contour your facial features, and produce smooth and natural results in your lips, cheeks, and around your mouth.
- Laser Treatments—Laser treatments can remove damaged tissue, tighten skin, and reduce the appearance of spots and fine lines – resulting in healthier-looking and smoother skin. “The Triple” Laser Package from Aesthetica is a skin rejuvenation treatment that combines three of the most popular and effective laser treatments.
- Injections—There are a number of injections that can add volume and fullness, restore contour, and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. One of the fastest and most effective ways to eliminate fine lines is with BOTOX® injections, a popular treatment option that results in softened lines and fewer wrinkles.
- Topical Medications and Skin Care Products—Innovative skin care lines and medications can improve skin conditions such as photodamage, hyperpigmentation, acne vulgaris, and rosacea, and improve the overall appearance of skin.
Fashion and Style Choices for Looking Younger
It is important to remember that there are other ways to camouflage the effects of aging. Your hairstyle, makeup, and clothing choices can work together with treatments and procedures to keep you looking young and vibrant.
- Clothing—Choosing the right clothes and undergarments for your age and body type can create a youthful appearance by providing structure to sagging body parts and emphasizing the areas of your body that make you most proud. Avoid drab, boxy clothing and the dreaded “mom jeans.”
- Makeup—A makeup artist or cosmologist can help you choose the makeup that minimizes the signs of aging through proper coloring, contouring, and highlighting. Great concealers and blushes can help hide spots and accent cheeks to give you a natural glow.
- Hairstyle—Hairstyles change over time. If you can keep up with the latest trends in styling, you can take years off your face.
Looking as Young as You Feel
Aging is a fact of life, and it’s important to feel good about yourself as you age. There are many surgical and non-surgical procedures, as well as everyday choices, that can help reverse the signs of aging and help you face the world with youthful confidence.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Aesthetica at any time. We’d love to have you do a little “reverse-aging” in the new year.